released this 2 years ago | 266 commits to master since this release
We are pleased to release Cwtch alpha 0.3.1! This is our biggest releases for the UI featuring profile management and other quality of life UI improvements:
- Profile management screen:
- create new profiles
- change between multiple profiles
- set and change profile passwords
- delete profiles
- Contact list is now sorted by most recent activity
This is a huge new set of UI features and there was a good portion of backend work that went into supporting it.
On top of that, further changes included in this release are:
- reworking the UI code and QML to better handle multiple profiles
- new monitor for connections and indicator in UI when connection is lost
- fixes for race conditions in the codebase
- removed an entire state layer in the frontend that was not working well on Android. Now the UI is more directly maintained by 'backend' data directly
- install.sh and cwtch.Desktop files for Linux
- cwtch now uses a separate 'dev' directory for profiles when running compiled from source. This allows testing along side running an official release of cwtch with separate profiles
THIS IS AN ALPHA RELEASE - EXPECT BUGS.
We are providing these binaries in order to show off what Cwtch is capable of so far, but please expect bugs and note that we HAVE NOT subjected this code to a security audit or usability testing yet.
It is also not remotely feature complete. Some features are supported by the underlying Cwtch library (check out https://git.openprivacy.ca/cwtch.im/cwtch) but not yet by the UI, and some are still having their research/design finalized by the Open Privacy team before being implemented. We have lots of cool features in the works and we hope you’ll check back later to try them out!
ANDROID: We are not putting Cwtch up on the Play Store yet. If your phone has developer mode enabled, you can sideload the APK below. If you don’t already know how to do this, please wait until we put it on the Store at a future date.
Please note that the Cwtch server feature can be very bandwidth-intensive right now, so please DO NOT CONNECT TO CWTCH SERVERS OVER CELLULAR DATA PLANS or an internet plan with a low data cap. The direct messaging feature, however, uses negligible bandwidth (unless you decide to send gigabytes of text with it). It also has difficulty maintaining its Tor onion service right now, so you may need to kill and restart the app if you find it unable to receive new incoming connections (outgoing connections should work fine).
Credits: Profile and Server Icons in this alpha were designed by freepik from Flaticon
- Source Code (ZIP)
- Source Code (TAR.GZ)
- 28 MiB cwtch-android-2019-12-18-19-47.apk
- 101 B cwtch-android-2019-12-18-19-47.apk.sha256
- 29 MiB cwtch-linux-2019-12-18-19-44.tar.gz
- 102 B cwtch-linux-2019-12-18-19-44.tar.gz.sha256
- 32 MiB cwtch-windows-2019-12-18-19-50.zip
- 101 B cwtch-windows-2019-12-18-19-50.zip.sha256
- Profile management screen: